27 August, 2008
- Leading Australian producer Foster's has moved its Penfolds Thomas Hyland range of wines to a more localised regional appellation, with its labels from now on showing the Adelaide region rather than its previous state-wide designation of South Australia. The company is also launching an addition to the range. Joining the Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon and Shiraz will be a Sauvignon Blanc from the 2007 vintage.
- Russian brewer Ochakov is to sign a licensing agreement with the Bavarian group King Ludwig International to sell its Kaltenberg brand in Russia.
- SABMIller, the global brewer, has announced that Pacific Beverages, its joint venture with Coca-Cola Amatil, has bought the Australian premium brewer Bluetongue. The premium beer sector in Australia has posted growth rates of 15 per cent each year for the past six years and, in the year to November, Bluetongue reported sales growth of more than 70 per cent.
- Italian wine exports in the first half of 2007 reached a record E1.6 billion - a 12 per cent increase over the sa me period last year, according to the Italian National Institute of Statistics.
- International South African wine brand Golden Kaan has relaunched in the UK with new packaging. The revamped range comprises: Sauvignon Blanc Chenin Blanc, Merlot and Shiraz,
- Argiano, the Brunello di Montalcino producer, has appointed Thorman Hunt as its UK distributor.