New Islay distillery to release single malt in September

21 July, 2009

Kilchoman, the new distillery on the Scottish island of Islay, will release its inaugural single malt whisky on September 9

Kilchoman, the first distillery built on Islay for nearly 100 years, will release its inaugural single malt whisky on the September 9.

Initially, bottles will be allocated to 14 key malt markets worldwide as well being available from the distillery shop and via the on-line shop.

Production started in 2005 and annual production is between 90,000 and 100,000 litres of alcohol; 30% of the spirit is distilled from barley grown and malted at the distillery and the balance comes from the Port Ellen Maltings on the island.

The two malts are kept separate during distilling and Kilchoman will release two expressions. The majority of maturation (80%) is in fresh bourbon barrels from Buffalo Trace and the remaining 20% in fresh Oloroso sherry butts.

A bottle from the first cask filled was auctioned in May and it went for for 5,400.

The malt has been matured in fresh bourbon barrels and finished for six months in oloroso sherry butts. The single malt whisky will be bottled at 46% abv at natural colour and non chill-filtered.

The recommended retail price is 37 per bottle.

Anthony Wills, the founder and managing director began the project in the summer of 2001. The company is said to be privately owned with 30 private investors. Wills has worked in the drinks industry for 32 years, firstly in the wine trade, and since moving to Scotland in 1995 he has been involved in the sales and marketing of malt whisky.